What can I expect from my pediatrician?

Your pediatrician does many jobs, but in general you can expect the doctor to:
  • Monitor your child’s growth and development
  • Diagnose, treat, and explain illnesses and treatments
  • Provide referrals to other specialists and work with them when needed
  • Help with a potpourri of other issues: exercise and nutrition, toilet training and bedwetting, learning disabilities, emotional and behavioral problems, and dealing with death, separation, and divorce, or any other major life changes that may affect your child.
Basically, you should view me (I’m standing in for your pediatrician here) as a partner whose main goal is to keep your child physically and mentally healthy.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.
The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Whooping Cough Vaccine Effectiveness Wears Off Quickly
Whooping cough, a very contagious respiratory disease that causes extreme coughing fits, is on the rise among adolescents who received a newer vaccine...
What is a premature baby?
A premature baby, or preemie, is born before the 37th completed week of pregnancy. Premature birth i...
Secrets for Perfect Attendance
Secrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect Attendance
Experts share their tips for keeping kids healthy all school year.
Smart Help for Your Child's Constipation