What causes neonatal sepsis?

Sepsis results from an infection, usually bacterial, that overloads the baby's immune system. Doctors distinguish between early- and late-onset neonatal sepsis, each of which has a different likely cause. Early-onset sepsis generally happens when the mother transfers bacteria to the fetus in utero or during childbirth. Group B streptococcus (GBS) and intestinal bacteria are common sources of the disease in this situation. Late-onset sepsis is more likely to come from the baby's surroundings, particularly if a hospital needs to perform other operations. In this case, staphylococci and E. coli are frequent culprits. Occasionally viral or fungal infections can also result in sepsis.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Why "Do As I Say, Not As I Do" Doesn't Work
That much-favored, hypocritical saying bandied about by lazy authoritarians, “Do as I say, not as I do,” never seems very convincing to any kid. And n...
What are some signs that my child might have a sleep disorder?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Here some signs that your child may have a sleep disorder: Kids should not snore, stop breathing...
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Use these tips to avoid spooky holiday hazards on the trick-or-treat trail.
Does Healthy Food Have to Be More Expensive and Less Available?