What is the treatment for retinopathy of prematurity (ROP)?

Retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) is often mild and requires no treatment. However, more serious cases can lead to scarring or detachment of the retina, and may require treatment. Most cases will not lead to blindness. A specialist will discuss this problem with you in more detail if your child develops ROP.

Early stages of ROP do not require any treatment. If ROP advances, laser treatment is used to eliminate the abnormal blood vessels.

Treatment for vision problems may include one or more of the following:

• Eyeglasses;
  • Eyedrops;
  • Temporarily patching one eye (to treat amblyopia);
  • Eye surgery.

All premature babies and babies with ROP need to be followed closely for vision problems.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Check Your Child’s Vitamin D Level
Check Your Child’s Vitamin D Level
When the Northern Lights dance across the arctic sky in Finland each winter, some say it makes up for the 18 h...
How can I keep my child safe from injury?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
All children experience injuries at some point. Falls, collisions, and accidents do happen. But ther...
6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting
6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting
These six strategies can help your child get a handle on bedwetting.
How Can Diaper Changing Be Made Easier?
How Can Diaper Changing Be Made Easier?