What are the symptoms of neonatal sepsis?

Most neonates with sepsis present with non-specific, subtle signs and symptoms evident in many body systems. Common clinical manifestations include:

• poor thermoregulation
  • respiratory distress
  • apnea or dyspnea
  • pallor and poor circulation
  • poor feeding, diarrhea or abdominal distension
  • lethargy or irritability
  • full orbulging fontanel
  • jaundice, ecchymosis or petechiae.

Because sepsis affects the whole body and can be caused by a variety of bacteria, it can produce a wide range of symptoms. Common early symptoms include reduced activity, body temperature abnormality, and low heart rate. Later symptoms include problems breathing, diarrhea, vomiting, and seizures. In late-onset neonatal sepsis, meningitis is common. Sepsis resulting from Group B streptococcus (GBS) specifically often weakens the lungs, and can produce pneumonia.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Sacrificing Sleep for Study Time Doesn't Make the Grade
It’s back to school season, with students (and parents) saying goodbye to the freewheeling days of summer and returning to the structure of the academ...
How can preventive healthcare help my child?
The goal of preventive health care is to prevent future diseases and to follow growth and develo...
6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER
6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER
A sick child can be a scary thing for parents. A call to the pediatrician can calm your fears, but these 6 signs and symptoms could mean a trip to the...
Why Should I Be Cautious When Giving My Child Fortified Cereal?