Why are premature baby girls more likely to survive than boys?

Although the exact reason is not known, it is assumed that the hormones that make are unique to girls at birth also help mature the lungs and other organs (brain, intestines) in baby girls which improves their chance of surviving. While survival of girls is better than boys, the difference is relatively small and many other factors also play a role in survival.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Kids Can Avoid Repetitive Use Injuries with Sports
Not long ago, seasonal athletics gave kids the option of participating in several different sports over the course of a school year. One athlete who k...
How can I help my child to not be afraid of the doctor?
There are several ways in which you can help prepare your child for the doctor visit. "Playing docto...
Lice, Pinkeye and 6 More Back-to-School Problems
Lice, Pinkeye and 6 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 6 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 6 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 6 More Back-to-School Problems
These gross schoolhouse issues should be on every parent's radar.
How Can We Encourage More People to Eat Healthy?