How often should my toddler poop?

Charles I. Schwartz, MD
Pediatrics

Most toddlers should have a soft bowel movement every one to three days.

Toddlers' poop patterns vary in frequency; it's not uncommon for a child to go twice a day, or once every two or three days, or even just once or twice a week. It may still be mushy, or it may begin to appear more formed. What's important is that poop should come out smoothly, without excessive pain or strain.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Children's Health

Children's Health

As a parent, you have questions about your kids' health. From common colds, lice, chickenpox and strep throat to eating disorders, obesity and learning disabilities, get the expert answers you need to raise a healthy child, tween, ...

or teen.