Is it normal for my child’s confidence to drop with age?

It’s normal for children’s confidence to ebb and flow as they grow up. Childhood is a time of many transitions and adjustments, and even very confident children have periods of self-doubt. The shifts from elementary school to middle school and from middle school to high school are especially difficult ones. For example, a 12-year-old child who once ruled the sixth grade is suddenly in a brand new school, the youngest of the school, perhaps changing classes and teachers, and is dealing with new expectations, both academically and socially.

In fact, I have a friend whose child had that difficulty. What really helped her was that her mom kept reminding her that the school year was so short in comparison to her whole life, and sooner than she thought, it would all change. And of course, she was right.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Are Teens Driven to Distraction Behind the Wheel?
Hey, Mom and Dad, the axiom, “Do as I say, not as I do,” turns out to be a pretty inadequate way to teach teen drivers how to be safe behind ...
What is a pediatrician?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
A pediatrician is a doctor who takes care of children and teens. Some pediatricians also focus on ta...
Lice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School Problems
Lice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School Problems
These common bugs and body issues should be on every parent's radar.
What Is the Council's Role in the Area of Nutrition?