Is watching TV unhealthy for kids?

Excessive TV viewing during childhood has been linked to adult obesity, poor body image, and raised cholesterol. Not only because the simple fact that watching TV requires your child to remain still, what she watches also may have an even bigger detrimental impact. If she’s an “average” television-watching child, she sees 40,000 commercials each year. The most common products are sugared cereals, candy, sodas, and high-fat snack foods. That means she probably knows what a Whopper is before she knows what an artichoke is.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Teach Your Kids to Reduce Stress & Avoid Burnout
Why Does My Child Get Sick So Often?
Why Does My Child Get Sick So Often?
How Can I Protect My Children from Viruses?
Is Juvenile Arthritis Connected to Antobiotic Use in Children?