How do I select the proper over-the-counter (OTC) medicine for my child?

To select the proper over-the-counter (OTC) medicine for your child, read the entire Drug Facts label, especially the "Active Ingredients," "Uses" and "Warnings" sections to make sure that the medicine is appropriate for your child. Consider your child's symptoms, other medications your child may be taking, allergies your child may have and any other factors mentioned on the label. And remember that medicines labeled for adults are not appropriate for children. Once you've determined the appropriate OTC medicine for your child, the next step is to give the right dose.

Finally, be careful when giving your child more than one medicine. Giving your child two or more medicines at the same time with the same or multiple active ingredients could lead to overdose or other problems. Read the Drug Facts labels carefully to determine the active ingredients in all the medicines you're administering.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

How Do I Recognize a Thyroid Disease in My Child or Adolescent?
What Data do you Rely on to Declare a School Successful?
How to Get a Child to Sleep in His Own Bed
Vitamin D Benefits for Kids
Vitamin D Benefits for Kids