How do I select the proper over-the-counter (OTC) medicine for my child?

To select the proper over-the-counter (OTC) medicine for your child, read the entire Drug Facts label, especially the "Active Ingredients," "Uses" and "Warnings" sections to make sure that the medicine is appropriate for your child. Consider your child's symptoms, other medications your child may be taking, allergies your child may have and any other factors mentioned on the label. And remember that medicines labeled for adults are not appropriate for children. Once you've determined the appropriate OTC medicine for your child, the next step is to give the right dose.

Finally, be careful when giving your child more than one medicine. Giving your child two or more medicines at the same time with the same or multiple active ingredients could lead to overdose or other problems. Read the Drug Facts labels carefully to determine the active ingredients in all the medicines you're administering.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Advertising Helps Make Kids Overweight
Advertising Helps Make Kids Overweight
Wow! That’s Dora the Explorer on a box of frozen treats. And you know what Dora’s discovered inside that box? High fructose corn syrup, liquid sugar a...
When can my child bathe after surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
In general, your child can wash with a washcloth the first day or night after surgery as long as...
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Use these tips to avoid spooky holiday hazards on the trick-or-treat trail.
Can Children Have Inflammatory Bowel Disease?