How can I participate in my child's care if he has a chronic disease?

There are a number of things you can do to actively participate in your child's care if he has a chronic disease:
  • Develop a spirit of mutual respect and cooperation with health professionals.
  • Write out all the details of your medical history, including dates. This will make it easier for you each time you come in contact with a new doctor.
  • Try to be with your child as much as possible during treatments and any hospitalization that might be necessary. If you cannot be there, arrange for someone else to be present, such as a grandparent, other relative or close family friend. And make sure a favorite book, stuffed animal or special blanket is taken along.
  • If your child is not talking yet, it's a good idea to tape a note to his or her hospital bed or crib with helpful information for the staff, such as your child's favorite foods, special toys or blankets, and the preferred time and method of taking medicines.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

What Is a Good Way to Approach the Issue of Weight with my Children?
How Can I Tell If My Child has Enterovirus D68, Versus a Cold or the Flu?
Does Healthy Food Have to Be More Expensive and Less Available?
Can Children Have Inflammatory Bowel Disease?