How often should my child have a routine health checkup?

After the age of three, it should be every year. If the child has any type of ongoing or chronic illness, they may need one more often.

Work with your doctor to determine how often your child needs to come in for checkups. In my practice, I recommend the following schedule, which is more frequent than is currently recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics: At birth, one week, then once a month for the first six months, and every other month from six months to one year, then again at 15 months, 18 months, 21 months, 2 years, 2.4 years, 2.8 years, 3 years, 3.5 years, 4 years, 4.5 years, 5 years, then yearly through age 18.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Measles Vaccine Provides Big Benefits for Your Child
A study reveals that you get a lot more than you bargained for when you give your child a measles v...
How could my child's snoring affect his IQ?
Kent SmithKent Smith
Johns Hopkins reported on this a few years ago, and found a 16 point drop in I.Q. They linked the br...
6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting
6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting
These six strategies can help your child get a handle on bedwetting.
Healthy School Lunches Help Prevent Childhood Obesity