How does neonatal sepsis affect the body?

The infections resulting in neonatal sepsis can begin with almost any part of the body. Common starting points are the sinuses, ear, lungs, and gastrointestinal and urinary systems. Once it takes hold, the infection can spread to other parts of the body. In sepsis, the immune reaction to infection ends up contributing to the problem by changing the body's temperature, changing the heart rate (either very fast or very slow), causing breathing problems, and damaging its tissues.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

4 Smart Ways to Keep Kids Healthy
4 Smart Ways to Keep Kids Healthy
A high-speed train in 1960 zipped along at 100 mph; today the speeds are twice that. Locomotion has gotten faster with every generation, but we can't ...
How often should my toddler poop?
Dr. Charles I. Schwartz, MDDr. Charles I. Schwartz, MD
Most toddlers should have a soft bowel movement every one to three days.
6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER
6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER
A sick child can be a scary thing for parents. A call to the pediatrician can calm your fears, but these 6 signs and symptoms could mean a trip to the...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What are signs of stress in my kids?