How can I learn more about my child's chronic illness?

Your first information sources should be your pediatrician and the specialist who made the definitive diagnosis (if there was one). Lean on both of them. Ask them for books, pamphlets, or videos that will help bring you up to speed on your child’s condition, and don’t be discouraged if you need a wheelbarrow to transport everything to your car. Ask them as many questions as you can think of, and buy a notebook in which you can write down concerns and track medical appointments, people, tests, results, and treatments your child may need. Ask them to recommend good websites for basic information, support groups, blogs by parents in your situation, and other helpful resources. At the very least, knowing you are not alone is comforting and will give you strength.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Children's Health

How Can I Tell If My Child has Enterovirus D68, Versus a Cold or the Flu?
If I Think My Child Has Enterovirus D68, What Should I Do?
Is Strength Training Safe for Kids?
Is Strength Training Safe for Kids?
What to Expect from Your Kindergartener
What to Expect from Your Kindergartener