How can I keep my child safe from injury?

All children experience injuries at some point. Falls, collisions, and accidents do happen. But there are some things you can do to try to keep your child as safe as possible. 

• Proper car seat, booster seat, and seatbelt use is vital to keeping your child safe during a car accident. 
  • Your child should wear a well-fitting helmet while riding on anything with wheels (bikes, scooters, skateboards, and rollerblades).
  • Children love to play in water. NEVER leave your child alone in or near a bathtub, bucket of water, wading or swimming pool, or any other body or water, even for a moment. 
  • If you choose to keep a gun in your home, keep it unloaded and in a locked place, with the ammunition locked separately.
  • Ask if there is a gun or guns in the homes where your child visits or is cared for have guns and how they are stored.

This answer was created with the help of physicians at South Riding Pediatrics (www.SouthRidingPediatrics.com) and www.HealthyChildren.org

Here are some steps for preventing the leading causes of childhood injuries:

Suffocation

• Make sure infants sleep alone, placed on their backs on a firm surface.
  • Be sure the crib meets safety standards.
  • Avoid loose bedding or soft toys in the crib.

Poisoning

• Keep medicines away from children and teens.
  • Keep cleaning solutions and other toxic products in original packaging and where children can't get them.

Motor vehicle crashes

• Always use seat belts, child safety seats, and booster seats that are correct for a child's age and weight.
  • Use safe-driving agreements or contracts with teens.

Drowning

• Learn to swim—important for parents and kids.
  • Use a four-sided fence with self-closing and self-latching gates around pool.
  • Watch kids closely when they swim.

Fire/burns

• Use smoke alarms—where people sleep and on every level of the home—and test monthly.
  • Create and practice a family fire escape plan.
  • Install a home fire sprinkler system if possible.

Falls

• Use a soft landing surface on playgrounds (such as sand or wood chips, not dirt or grass).
  • Use protective gear, like a helmet, during sports and recreation.
  • Install protective rails on bunk beds and loft beds.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Toy Safety Tips for Your Tots
Toy Safety Tips for Your Tots
Love giving your little ones presents full of toys? While we’re sure they love them too, you may want to be cautious when giving them out. According t...
How should I choose a hospital for my child?
As with finding a doctor, your first step in finding the right hospital is to create a list of your ...
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Use these tips to avoid spooky holiday hazards on the trick-or-treat trail.
Are We Overusing Technology in the Treatment of Children?