How is neonatal sepsis diagnosed?

Neonatal sepsis is diagnosed base on an assessment of the infant and laboratory studies. Most infants present with non-specific, subtle signs and symptoms. Common clinical manifestations include:

• poor thermoregulation
  • respiratory distress
  • apnea
  • pallor
  • lethargy
  • full or bulging fontanel
  • jaundice, ecchymosis or petechia

The laboratory studies include analysis of blood, urine and cerebrospinal fluid and radiologic examination.

Doctors will perform a number of tests if they suspect neonatal sepsis. Blood tests are the most important. A complete blood count (CBC) is used to determine whether white blood cells and platelets fall outside of the normal range. Blood will also be withdrawn and placed into a culture for incubation, where, if it contains bacteria, colonies will usually appear within two days. Other tests include urinalysis and spinal tap, which provide more information about the nature of the infection. If doctors suspect neonatal sepsis they will sometimes begin treatment before the test results arrive.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Ask the Pediatrician: Is My Child Overweight?
One out of three American kids ages 6 to 11 is overweight or obese. Obesity can lead to serious health problems down the road. Conditions like high ch...
What tips can help a child develop a “can do” attitude?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are tips from my book, The Big Book of Parenting Solutions that can help your child recognize h...
Secrets for Perfect Attendance
Secrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect Attendance
Experts share their tips for keeping kids healthy all school year.
Is Social Media a Health Risk for Your Kids?