How can I help my child deal with peer pressure?

No doubt about it, kids who have close bonds with their parents and families are less likely to give into negative peer pressure, especially when it comes to risky behaviors like sexual activity, drinking, and drugs. Since the number of negative influences your child encounters increases as he gets older, you’ll need to really focus on keeping the lines of communication open.

Also, daily conversations with your child in which you practice active listening -- even if they’re just about the simple stuff -- will let your child know that he can approach you when he’s facing difficult decisions or feeling pressured by his peers.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Your kid will be better prepared to handle peer pressure if you help him establish his own identity. In this video, psychologist Dr. Jennifer Hartstein discusses ways to help your child confident enough to stand his ground.  

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Measles Vaccine Provides Big Benefits for Your Child
A study reveals that you get a lot more than you bargained for when you give your child a measles vaccine. Not only does the MMR (measles, mumps and r...
How can I keep my child's bandage dry after surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
In general, your child's bandage needs to be kept dry after surgery. To avoid spills on the band...
Secrets for Perfect Attendance
Secrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect Attendance
Experts share their tips for keeping kids healthy all school year.
Is the Flu Shot Safe for Children?
Is the Flu Shot Safe for Children?