How can I help my child remember to wash her hands?

Just as with any other new habit, your child will need gentle reminders and praise while the good, clean behavior is being learned. Also, let your child see you brushing and flossing before bed or soaping up your hands after a trip to the restroom. Your child will come to learn how easily important hygiene habits can fit into day-to-day life. After a while, you won’t need to ask your child, “Did you remember to wash your hands?” But until then, let your kids know you’re paying attention, providing your encouragement and support along the way.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Protect Your Kids from Hidden Hazards in the Kitchen
Danni’s mom was busy cooking dinner when she heard Danni’s cry. The toddler had found the food processor. While her parents had proactively and carefu...
What is neonatal hydronephrosis?
Neonatal hydronephrosis occurs when the baby's urine does not properly drain from the kidneys into t...
What is the role of a child life specialist?
The role of a child life specialist is to make children feel comfortable and able to cope with a sta...
How do I explain my child's chronic illness to her?
Ask your pediatrician for suggestions on how to explain a particular illness to your child. My gener...