How can I help my child form healthier eating and exercise habits?

Here are some tips for making healthy eating and physical activity a habit for your child or teen:
  • Repetition is key. Just as you learned multiplication tables by going over them repeatedly, we learn healthy habits through daily repetition.
  • Practice! Encourage your child to regularly practice the behavior at the same time and place. For example, if you want a kid to eat more fruit, offer her an apple every day for an afterschool snack.
  • Set the pace early. Help your child follow through consistently with the new behavior, especially at the beginning. Your child can form a habit if he skips a day, but it will take longer to develop.
Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens

In a world of fast food, supersized sodas, and televised temptations, this guide shows how to buck the obesity trend currently in the national spotlight—and have fun doing it. Using a family...

Continue Learning about Children's Health