How can I get my child excited about the new school year?

With some planning and a few tips and tricks, parents can calmly and confidently get their children excited about the new school year. Nurturing a sense of calm and confidence in your child may help ease your own worries as well. Moreover, if your child enters the classroom prepared and relaxed, he or she may have the best semester ever.

You can help ease stress and build excitement about going back to school by assigning some fun tasks and outings in the days leading up to the start of school. The following are some ideas you could mark on the calendar for the week before school begins:
  • 7 days before: Go shopping for fall clothes.
  • 6 days before: Take a final summer trip to an amusement park.
  • 5 days before: Shop for school supplies and set up a study area and storage space when you get home.
  • 4 days before: Talk about what the kids would like for school lunches and let them sample a few ideas.
  • 3 days before: Take a trial trip to school -- by car, by bike or on foot, depending on how your child will be traveling to school. Go out to lunch or for a treat afterward.
  • 2 days before: Pack backpacks and decide where the packs will be kept during the school year. You may want to create a system for where your children will leave papers for you that they bring home.
  • 1 day before: Plan a final summer outing with friends, such as a picnic in the park or trip to the pool or beach. And, before bedtime, make sure your child's back-to-school outfit is selected and ready to wear.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

why should children receive the required school-age vaccines ?
Vaccines were developed to decrease the disease process caused by many common infections. Vaccines h...
getting our youth active again
getting our youth active again
how can diaper changing be made easier ?
dr . tamar chansky - what are signs of stress in my kids ?