How do I calculate adjusted age for preemies?

Calculation of the adjusted age for preemies is easy if you remember to just subtract the time the preemie would have spent in the mother’s womb from the actual age of the baby. For example, if a premature baby born at 32 weeks is now 10 weeks old, the adjusted age would be 2 weeks old. Use 40 weeks as the end of normal gestation. Since the baby is 8 weeks premature and currently 10 weeks old, 10 weeks actual age, less 8 weeks of prematurity equals 2 weeks adjusted age.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Dim the Lights to Better Your Child’s Sleep Habits
Just think about all the lights that are on from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. inside your home. Those lights are disrupting your young children’s ability to get a...
What should I ask the pediatrician about my child’s prescription?
Before you accept any prescription from your pediatrician, I’d ask the following questions:“Do I hav...
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Use these tips to avoid spooky holiday hazards on the trick-or-treat trail.
If You Swallow Gum, Does It Stay In Your Gut for Years?