How are growing pains treated?

Growing pains are not specific and a source cannot be found. It is first a good idea to have a thorough evaluation to make sure there is not a physical reason for the growing pains. If nothing is found, try to keep the child active. Use warm packs or ice if that seems to help; giving your child Tylenol or ibuprofen can be used in severe cases. In most cases the pain will subside over time. However, if the pain persists, be sure to take your child to a doctor for an evaluation. 
Although growing pains may be scary to children, explain to them that the pains are probably caused by overexertion of their muscles and will go away with time. Try massage and heating pads first. If the pain is severe, pain relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be used advises. Alert your doctor if persistent pain, swelling or redness in one particular area occurs.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

6 Ways to Help Your Child Handle School Stress
It’s that time again: a brand-new school year. For many elementary school kids, that means different teachers, unfamiliar classmates, mounds of fresh ...
What should I pack for myself during my child's hospital stay?
There are three things you should pack for yourself when you're taking your child to the hospital:Br...
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Use these tips to avoid spooky holiday hazards on the trick-or-treat trail.
The Correct Way to Give a Child Medication