Does my child need a checkup to play sports?

Your child should have a full checkup by his doctor, often called a sports physical, if he's going to play organized sports.

Most sports physicals will check:
  • height
  • weight
  • eyesight
  • vital signs (heart rate, blood pressure, etc.)
  • health of eyes, nose, ears, chest and abdomen
  • strength and flexibility
A sports physical is also a good time to discuss with the doctor what sports are appropriate for your child's age and development. If your child is signed up for an organized sport, aim to do the physical about six weeks before the season starts.
Most schools and athletic clubs require a "sports physical," or checkup, prior to play. This is to help make sure sports are not risky for the child to play. It also allows for a discussion on ways to prevent any increased risks. Although most children are cleared to play sports, there are a few conditions that could be life threatening when combined with athletics. It is important to have your child evaluated.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Can Children Use Fluoride Toothpaste?
Can Children Use Fluoride Toothpaste?
According to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it’s especially important for kids age three to six who use fluor...
How should I take my child's oral temperature?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To take an oral temperature, use a digital thermometer that says on the box that it can be used ...
6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting
6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting
These six strategies can help your child get a handle on bedwetting.
How Do I Recognize a Thyroid Disease in My Child or Adolescent?