How do adolescents develop physically?

Richard Ricciardi
Advanced Practice Nursing
Wow -- that is a great question and one that is not easy to answer. Basically, hormones (produced by endocrine glands and other cells) in the body "tell" the cells, tissues and organs in your body to change (or develop). Those changes have a dramatic effect on the physical stature, nervous system, and personality. Typically, physical changes begin at ages 8-10 in girls and 9-12 in boys.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Reading Is Brain Food for Kids
Reading Is Brain Food for Kids
From Counting Kisses to The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and from The Cat in the Hat to Where the Wild Things Are, the books that were read to you as a ch...
What should I do if I think my child is depressed?
Dr. Michele BorbaDr. Michele Borba
No one knows your child better than you. If you suspect something is wrong, chances are you’re right...
6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER
6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER
A sick child can be a scary thing for parents. A call to the pediatrician can calm your fears, but these 6 signs and symptoms could mean a trip to the...
What Are Common Symptoms of Enterovirus D68?