How do adolescents develop physically?

Richard Ricciardi
Advanced Practice Nursing
Wow -- that is a great question and one that is not easy to answer. Basically, hormones (produced by endocrine glands and other cells) in the body "tell" the cells, tissues and organs in your body to change (or develop). Those changes have a dramatic effect on the physical stature, nervous system, and personality. Typically, physical changes begin at ages 8-10 in girls and 9-12 in boys.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Sugar Substitutes, Your Kids and the National Obesity Crisis
We’re here to talk about a nutritional slight of hand that’s tricking your body and making you more likely to pack on the pounds, even as you try to s...
How should I manage my child's eczema (atopic dermatitis)?
Dale M. Valentine, MDDale M. Valentine, MD
Several simple things help most cases of eczema. First moisturize the skin.  Use a moisturizing crea...
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Use these tips to avoid spooky holiday hazards on the trick-or-treat trail.
How Effective Are Pertussis (Whooping Cough) Vaccines?