When should I call the doctor about my premature baby?

Call your baby’s doctor, or your lactation consultant, in these situations:

• if your baby is eating fewer than 8 times every 24 hours
      • if your baby is not having at least 6 wet diapers every 24 hours
      • if -- by day four after birth -- your baby is having fewer than 4 yellow stools (messy diapers) every 24 hours
      • if your baby is becoming increasingly yellow (jaundiced), especially in these places: below the belly button, on the soles of the feet, in the whites of the eyes
      • if your baby is not gaining at least 8 ounces (½ pound) every week

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Exercise in Class to Maximize Learning
Exercise in Class to Maximize Learning
Ryan Fitzpatrick played sports from a very young age, but before becoming a starting quarterback in the NFL (he’s the first QB to throw four touchdown...
Why can't I use a kitchen spoon to give my child liquid medication?
Javier A. Hiriart, MDJavier A. Hiriart, MD
Don’t grab the kitchen spoon when you give your child liquid medication. Prescribed doses of liquid ...
Lice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School Problems
Lice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School Problems
These common bugs and body issues should be on every parent's radar.
Can Children Have Inflammatory Bowel Disease?