When should I call the doctor about my premature baby?

Call your baby’s doctor, or your lactation consultant, in these situations:

• if your baby is eating fewer than 8 times every 24 hours
      • if your baby is not having at least 6 wet diapers every 24 hours
      • if -- by day four after birth -- your baby is having fewer than 4 yellow stools (messy diapers) every 24 hours
      • if your baby is becoming increasingly yellow (jaundiced), especially in these places: below the belly button, on the soles of the feet, in the whites of the eyes
      • if your baby is not gaining at least 8 ounces (½ pound) every week

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Is Your Child's Backpack Too Heavy?
Is Your Child's Backpack Too Heavy?
A bulging backpack may seem like a sign of a studious adolescent, but a bag loaded with too many textbooks can be an indicator of back, neck, knee and...
What can I expect if my child is isolated with a drug-resistant infection?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Some patients are sick with a germ that is difficult to kill with common antibiotic medicine. Th...
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Use these tips to avoid spooky holiday hazards on the trick-or-treat trail.
What to Expect From Your Nursey-School Child