What questions should I ask my doctor if my child plays sports?

If you know that your child’s past medical history predisposes him or her to any specific risks, you should ask your doctor about your child playing sports. For example, children with asthma or a known heart condition may require additional screening, medical management or restrictions for participating. 
During the appointment, ask questions. Let the doctor know about your concerns, and ask things like:
  1. Is there anything you are noticing on your examination of my child that may be related to a heart condition?
  2. Does my family history raise any concerns?
  3. Are there activities my child should avoid?
  4. Does my child have other medical issues that may limit his or her activities?
  5. Can the medications my child is taking affect his or her activities?
If you have any concerns that something you are noticing may be related to your child’s heart, be sure to let your doctor know, even if you are not sure.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Water, Weight and Windows of Opportunity for Kids
Once gold-medalist Michael Phillips was in training, he was up to his neck in water and seemed to leave his self-destructive habits behind. Could it b...
What are some common complaints from schoolchildren?
The most common complaint seen in the doctor's office from school-aged children is from an upper res...
Lice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School Problems
Lice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School Problems
These common bugs and body issues should be on every parent's radar.
Should Babies Get Flu Shots?
Should Babies Get Flu Shots?