When was the first successful kidney donation?

Ronald Herrick made history when he donated his kidney to save his brother. Herrick's organ donation was the first that resulted in a successful transplant procedure. That was in December 1954.

Herrick had just been discharged from the Army when he learned his twin brother, Richard, was dying from an inflammation of the kidney, which is called chronic nephritis.

Herrick could not bear the thought of watching his brother die, so he asked doctors if he could one of his kidneys to save him.

Continue Learning about Kidney Transplant

Busting Organ Donation Myths
Busting Organ Donation Myths
This summer Jeni Stepien walked down the aisle in Swissvale, PA, arm-in-arm with the man whose life was saved 10 years ago by her murdered father’s do...
What should I expect after a kidney-pancreas transplant?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Your care after a kidney-pancreas transplant is very similar to that of a kidney transplant alone. O...
How can I reduce my waiting time for a kidney transplant?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
You can reduce your waiting time for a kidney transplant by having your name placed on waiting lists...
How Can a Multiple-Person Kidney Swap Be Achieved?