When is a kidney transplant recommended?

Kidney transplantation is the treatment of choice for most patients with end stage renal disease (ESRD). Therefore, most patients with ESRD or stage 4 to 5 chronic kidney disease (CKD) should be referred for evaluation. General recommendation is for nephrologists to refer patients at a glomerular filtration rate (GFR) of around 25 to 30 milliliters per minute (ml/mn) to give enough time for evaluation and testing. This is because the evaluation process will, at times, require additional testing or treatments of certain conditions prior to being approved for kidney transplant. Early referral will also allow for recipients to find living donors, which might facilitate a preemptive transplant (kidney transplant before dialysis). In the US, patients become eligible to be waitlisted or receive a transplant at a GFR < 20 ml/min. The exact timing of transplant surgery below that GFR is a bit unclear but in general patients who have living donors are scheduled for transplant once they are closer to 15 ml/min or are close to developing symptoms. Patients waiting for a deceased donor transplant can receive one at any level below 20 ml/min.

Continue Learning about Kidney Transplant

Organ Donations on the Rise in the U.S.
Organ Donations on the Rise in the U.S.
When Nurse Jackie (Edie Falco) -- from the Showtime original series by the same name -- a married mother of two, was shagging her hospital’s pharmacol...
Should I get a kidney transplant if I have end-stage renal disease (ESRD)?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
People who have kidney failure will die without treatment. For those who choose dialysis, only about...
How can I reduce my waiting time for a kidney transplant?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
You can reduce your waiting time for a kidney transplant by having your name placed on waiting lists...
How Can a Multiple-Person Kidney Swap Be Achieved?