What is single-port surgery?

Single-site surgery elevates general laparoscopy to an approach that only uses one 20 to 25 millimeter (mm) incision. This method usually requires a specialized port that allows for the camera and several instruments to be inserted from the same site. Benefits of this method include a single surgical site and less postoperative pain, with some people able to return to their daily lives sooner. There is a better cosmetic result as well.

Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Single incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS) is a new way to perform different types of laparoscopic surgeries with only one incision on the patient's abdomen. Instead of the three to four incisions that are needed to perform a laparoscopic hysterectomy or lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy I am able to place all three ports through one single 2.5 cm incision in the belly button. There is a better cosmetic result as well as my patients have very little pain and most are back to work in one week.

Continue Learning about Kidney Transplant

Organ Donations on the Rise in the U.S.
Organ Donations on the Rise in the U.S.
When Nurse Jackie (Edie Falco) -- from the Showtime original series by the same name -- a married mother of two, was shagging her hospital’s pharmacol...
How is my remaining kidney cared for after a nephrectomy?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
After a nephrectomy (surgical removal of a kidney), tests will be done on a regular basis to check h...
How do I qualify for a kidney transplant?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
The criteria to qualify for a kidney transplant is complex. If you suffer from chronic kidney diseas...
How Can a Multiple-Person Kidney Swap Be Achieved?