What signs or symptoms should I watch for after a kidney transplant?

After a kidney transplant you should watch for the following signs or symptoms, which could indicate rejection and need to be reported to your doctor immediately:
  • decreased urine output
  • increased weight
  • increased blood pressure
  • swelling of hands and feet
  • increased temperature (over 100 degrees)
  • flu-like symptoms (body aches)
  • swelling or tenderness to new kidney 
Even though you are taking your medicines every day, you may still develop rejection of a kidney transplant. You need to know your body very well. If you have any of the following, you should call your transplant center right away:
  • a drop in your urine output
  • a fever above 100 F degrees
  • tenderness of your new kidney
  • bloody urine
  • flu-like feelings
  • weight gain (more than three pounds in two days)
The transplant center will probably ask you to have some blood tests and maybe other tests. The long-term success of your kidney transplant depends largely on careful follow-up and a good working relationship between you and your transplant team.

Continue Learning about Kidney Transplant

Organ Donations on the Rise in the U.S.
Organ Donations on the Rise in the U.S.
When Nurse Jackie (Edie Falco) -- from the Showtime original series by the same name -- a married mother of two, was shagging her hospital’s pharmacol...
What should I know about CellCept before taking it?
CellCept (mycophenolate mofetil) prevents your body from rejecting a newly transplanted organ by sup...
What should I know about Rapamune before taking it?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Before taking Rapamune (sirolimus) for your kidney transplant you should know the following: imm...
How Can a Multiple-Person Kidney Swap Be Achieved?