What signs or symptoms should I watch for after a kidney transplant?

After a kidney transplant you should watch for the following signs or symptoms, which could indicate rejection and need to be reported to your doctor immediately:
  • decreased urine output
  • increased weight
  • increased blood pressure
  • swelling of hands and feet
  • increased temperature (over 100 degrees)
  • flu-like symptoms (body aches)
  • swelling or tenderness to new kidney 
Even though you are taking your medicines every day, you may still develop rejection of a kidney transplant. You need to know your body very well. If you have any of the following, you should call your transplant center right away:
  • a drop in your urine output
  • a fever above 100 F degrees
  • tenderness of your new kidney
  • bloody urine
  • flu-like feelings
  • weight gain (more than three pounds in two days)
The transplant center will probably ask you to have some blood tests and maybe other tests. The long-term success of your kidney transplant depends largely on careful follow-up and a good working relationship between you and your transplant team.

Continue Learning about Kidney Transplant

Busting Organ Donation Myths
Busting Organ Donation Myths
This summer Jeni Stepien walked down the aisle in Swissvale, PA, arm-in-arm with the man whose life was saved 10 years ago by her murdered father’s do...
How is kidney transplant rejection treated?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Kidney transplant rejection is treated with medication through an intravenous (IV) line or by mouth,...
Who can I speak to if I have concerns about my kidney transplant?
If you have concerns about your kidney transplant you should speak to your transplant social worker....
How Can a Multiple-Person Kidney Swap Be Achieved?