What should I expect after a kidney-pancreas transplant?

Your care after a kidney-pancreas transplant is very similar to that of a kidney transplant alone. One difference is that after a kidney-pancreas transplant you may spend a day or so in the intensive care unit (ICU) for close monitoring to make sure both kidney and pancreas are working well. If there are no problems such as rejection or infection, you should be able to go home in seven to 10 days. Remember that you will need to take special medicines, called immunosuppressive or antirejection medications, following your transplant operation to help prevent your body from rejecting your newly transplanted organs. You need to take these medicines exactly as the doctor prescribes for as long as your transplant lasts. In addition, you will have regularly scheduled tests as an outpatient to check the function of your transplanted organs and you will be told to follow a healthy lifestyle through diet and exercise.

Continue Learning about Kidney Transplant

Organ Donations on the Rise in the U.S.
Organ Donations on the Rise in the U.S.
When Nurse Jackie (Edie Falco) -- from the Showtime original series by the same name -- a married mother of two, was shagging her hospital’s pharmacol...
What happens during a kidney transplant evaluation?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Before people become kidney transplant candidates, the transplant team performs an extensive evaluat...
Who can I speak to if I have concerns about my kidney transplant?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you have concerns about your kidney transplant you should speak to your transplant social worker....
How Can a Multiple-Person Kidney Swap Be Achieved?