Can live donor kidneys be transported nationally?

Jeffrey L. Veale, MD
Urology
The National Kidney Registry has helped facilitate over 1300 kidney transplants, and approximately 1000 of these kidneys have been shipped via commercial airlines.

Originally, it was believed that living donor kidneys should not be transported because it would add additional time on ice to the kidneys. However, by performing these exchanges, doctors realized that living donors don't want to travel to another city/hospital that they are unfamiliar with, and that shipped kidneys appear to function as well as kidneys that were removed in the next operating room over.

Continue Learning about Kidney Transplant

Organ Donations on the Rise in the U.S.
Organ Donations on the Rise in the U.S.
When Nurse Jackie (Edie Falco) -- from the Showtime original series by the same name -- a married mother of two, was shagging her hospital’s pharmacol...
What problems may occur after a kidney-pancreas transplant?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
The main problems that may occur after a kidney-pancreas transplant are infection and rejection. In ...
How can I reduce my waiting time for a kidney transplant?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
You can reduce your waiting time for a kidney transplant by having your name placed on waiting lists...
How Does a Doctor Manage a Recipient’s Health Before a Kidney Transplant?