Why do I need to see a nephrologist if I have recurrent kidney stones?

Kimberly L. Harper, MD
Nephrology
If you have recurrent kidney stones, a nephrologist (a doctor who specializes in kidneys) can review your history and conduct a physical exam. This could include ordering blood tests and having you complete a 24-hour urine collection. The tests can help your nephrologist determine what makes you prone to developing kidney stones. Additionally, your nephrologist can use this information to advise you on dietary recommendations and medications that can help prevent you from forming more stones. 

Continue Learning about Kidney Stones

Is There a Speedy Way to Pass Kidney Stones?
Kinga Ka is the world’s fastest rollercoaster, going from zero to 128 mph in 3.5 seconds. That’s enough loosen your fillings, and it’s hard to imagine...
What is a staghorn kidney stone?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
A staghorn kidney stone is a very large kidney stone that fills most of the collecting system.
What procedures help treat kidney stones?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Shock-wave lithotripsy is a noninvasive procedure that uses high-energy sound waves to blast kidney ...
4 Ways to Prevent Kidney Stones
4 Ways to Prevent Kidney Stones