What are staghorn calculi (struvite stones)?

Staghorn stones are stones that involve the renal pelvis and extend into at least 2 calyces of the kidney. Approximately 75% of staghorn calculi are struvite (composed of magnesium, ammonium, phosphate crystals mixed with carbonate-apatite). These stones are associated with urinary tract infections caused by bacteria that produce urease. Urease hydrolyzes (or splits) urea into ammonium and hydroxyl ions resulting in an increase in ammonium and phosphate concentrations leading to an alkaline urine. The alkaline urine leads to precipitation of magnesium ammonium phosphate crystals mixed with varying proportions of carbonate apatite. This stone matrix is believed to protect the bacteria from antibiotics. In essence, antibiotics cannot clear the associated infection unless the stone material is completely removed.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stones

Is There a Speedy Way to Pass Kidney Stones?
Kinga Ka is the world’s fastest rollercoaster, going from zero to 128 mph in 3.5 seconds. That’s enough loosen your fillings, and it’s hard to imagine...
Why will my doctor want to identify the kind of kidney stones I have?
You will receive different kinds of treatments depending on the type of kidney stone that has develo...
Is it safe to drink tea if I've had kidney stones?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
The best way to prevent kidney stones is to stay well hydrated. So drink plenty of water.There is co...
Health Benefits of Beer
Health Benefits of Beer