What can happen if kidney stones are not treated?

One possibility is that your kidney stone could just stay there and not grow at all. Your doctor may just keep an eye on it with the help of x-rays. The other possibility is that the kidney stone could grow, as quickly as several weeks or very slowly, over years. Or the stone could pass, or it could pass to the ureter and get stuck. A stone lodged in the ureter has to be treated eventually. If that stone is stuck for too long, that kidney will wear out and stop working due to the back pressure.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stones

Is There a Speedy Way to Pass Kidney Stones?
Kinga Ka is the world’s fastest rollercoaster, going from zero to 128 mph in 3.5 seconds. That’s enough loosen your fillings, and it’s hard to imagine...
Why do I need to see a nephrologist if I have recurrent kidney stones?
Kimberly L. Harper, MDKimberly L. Harper, MD
If you have recurrent kidney stones, a nephrologist (a doctor who specializes in kidneys) can review...
What are kidney stones?
Kyle K. Himsl, MDKyle K. Himsl, MD
Learn a few of the various causes and chemical compositions of kidney stones. Watch this video with ...
Health Benefits of Beer
Health Benefits of Beer