How long will my kidney stone take to pass?

Intermountain Healthcare
Administration
The larger the stone, the less chance it will pass on its own and the longer it will take.
  • Kidney stones smaller than 4 mm: About 80% will pass on their own. Typically takes 31 days.
  • Kidney stones from 4 to 6 mm in size: About 60% will pass on their own. Typically takes 45 days.
  • Kidney stones larger than 6mm: About 20% will pass on their own. Typically takes 12 months.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stones

Kidney Stones

Referred to as "silent stones," kidney stones often do not cause any symptoms. The first indication of a kidney stone is often a sudden feeling of extreme pain as the stone blocks the flow of urine. Kidney stones are one of the mo...

st painful urologic disorders and one of the most common disorders of the urinary tract.Most kidney stones - which are hardened masses that develop from crystals that separate from the urine in the urinary tract - are passed out of the body without surgical intervention by a doctor. A less common type of kidney stone, called a struvite or infection stone, is caused by infection in the urinary tract. Doctors are not always able to diagnose the cause of a kidney stone, which is why it's important to learn how to prevent them in the fist place. A person who has had a kidney stone in the past may likely form another one.