How does a high-protein diet affect kidney stones?

If you are overweight, you want to try to get to a normal weight to reduce your risk of kidney stones. But high-protein weight-loss diets can add to your stone risk. Protein is found in beef, chicken, pork, fish, milk and eggs. You need protein, but it needs to be part of a balanced diet.

Uric acid kidney stones are caused by too much protein in the diet. If you are prone to these kinds of kidney stones, eating a high-protein diet (especially red meat) may increase your risk for developing kidney stones. Your doctor may recommend that you limit your protein intake to a healthy level. You might also take medicines to prevent uric acid kidney stones.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stones

Is There a Speedy Way to Pass Kidney Stones?
Kinga Ka is the world’s fastest rollercoaster, going from zero to 128 mph in 3.5 seconds. That’s enough loosen your fillings, and it’s hard to imagine...
Why do I need to see a nephrologist if I have recurrent kidney stones?
Kimberly L. Harper, MDKimberly L. Harper, MD
If you have recurrent kidney stones, a nephrologist (a doctor who specializes in kidneys) can review...
What foods should I avoid if I have kidney stones?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
With a kidney stone, it is best to avoid all osteolates such as spinach, chocolate, nuts and iced te...
4 Ways to Prevent Kidney Stones
4 Ways to Prevent Kidney Stones