Why would my doctor recommend surgery to treat my kidney stones?

A doctor will recommend surgery to treat kidney stones when they are associated with continued growth, infection, obstruction (blockage) or pain. The intent is to prevent sepsis (bacteria in the blood stream) or loss of kidney function.
The primary surgical treatment options for kidney stones are extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy (ESWL), ureteroscopy, and percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL).
Kidney stones are sometimes too large to pass through the body, even after medicines and shock wave treatments. Surgery gives your doctor the option of removing large stones through your back, through a small tube in your urethra, or with an endoscopic surgical technique called ureteroscopy. These procedures are sometimes used to break up stones into smaller pieces. Your doctor may also find that a stone is causing blockages, infection, or kidney damage, and opt for one of these techniques to prevent further complications.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stone Treatment

What is PCNL for kidney stones?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
PCNL stands for percutaneous nephrolithotomy, a surgery that removes a stone directly from the kid...
How effective is ESWL for kidney stones?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) is effective for certain types of kidney stones. Very l...
How will my doctor treat my kidney stones if I am pregnant?
If you get kidney stones when you are pregnant, your doctor will probably treat your symptoms with a...
What is the best treatment for staghorn kidney stones?
St. Petersburg General HospitalSt. Petersburg General Hospital
The best treatment for staghorn kidney stones is through percutaneous nephrolithotomy.