Will I need to be in a hospital to have large kidney stones removed?

The procedures used to remove large kidney stones -- percutaneous nephrolithotomy and percutaneous nephrolithotripsy -- require general anesthesia and a short hospital stay, usually two or three days. The recovery time takes a week or so. Depending on the position of the stone, the procedure itself takes about 20 to 45 minutes. The goal is to take out all of the stones so that none are left to pass through the urinary tract.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stone Treatment

What is ureteroscopy for ureteral stones?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Ureteroscopy is a procedure in which a small scope (like a thin flexible telescope) is inserted into...
Are there OTC medications to treat uric acid kidney stones?
Arthur R. Crowley, MDArthur R. Crowley, MD
Sodium Bicarbonate (chewable tablets or powder) is probably the only readily available over-the-coun...
What can I expect after ESWL treatment for kidney stones?
After treatment with extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) for kidney stones, you can expect ...
Is lithotripsy necessary for a kidney stone?
Sangtae Park, MDSangtae Park, MD
While lithotripsy is not mandatory for all kidney stones, the majority of them would benefit from it...