Why are kidney stones not removed when a stent is inserted into the kidney?

Stents are inserted to unblock a ureteral stone, often in the setting of emergency for infection or pain. 

For instance if the kidney is infected, a doctor won’t want to perform lithotripsy so they may put in a stent to drain it and then return when the infection has settled. They can also be used to relieve severe pain until lithotripsy can be performed.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stone Treatment

Is lithotripsy necessary for a kidney stone?
Sangtae Park, MDSangtae Park, MD
While lithotripsy is not mandatory for all kidney stones, the majority of them would benefit from it...
Will I need to be in a hospital to have large kidney stones removed?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
The procedures used to remove large kidney stones -- percutaneous nephrolithotomy and percutaneous n...
How much vitamin D is ok to take if I have kidney stones?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
Intake of Vitamin D should not exceed the recommended age-specific daily limits in patients with kid...
What is ureteroscopy for ureteral stones?
Ureteroscopy is a procedure in which a small scope (like a thin flexible telescope) is inserted into...