What are the risks of a ureteroscopic kidney stone removal?

Risks of ureteroscopy to remove kidney stones include bleeding, infection, or injury to the ureter in rare cases. Sometimes the ureter is very narrow and will not allow the small scope to move up to the level of the stone. In these cases, you may need a stent in place for 1 to 2 weeks to dilate (widen) the ureter before trying the ureteroscopy again. Once the ureter is wider, it is usually easier to get to the stone.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stone Treatment

How are large kidney stones removed?
Jayram Krishnan, DOJayram Krishnan, DO
Large kidney stones are treated surgically, says Jayram Krishnan, DO, a urologist at Sunrise Hospita...
What medications are used to dissolve kidney stones?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Only uric acid stones can dissolve. For uric acid stones, doctors change the pH of the urine from ac...
Is lithotripsy necessary for a kidney stone?
Sangtae Park, MDSangtae Park, MD
While lithotripsy is not mandatory for all kidney stones, the majority of them would benefit from it...
How will my doctor treat my kidney stones if I am pregnant?
If you get kidney stones when you are pregnant, your doctor will probably treat your symptoms with a...