What procedures help treat kidney stones?

Learn about the various options for treating kidney stones, from letting a kidney stone pass on its own, to surgical intervention. Watch this video with urologist Kyle Himsl, MD from Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center.
Shock-wave lithotripsy is a noninvasive procedure that uses high-energy sound waves to blast kidney stones into fragments that are then more easily passed out in the urine. In ureteroscopy, an endoscope is inserted through the ureter to retrieve or obliterate the stone. Rarely, for very large or complicated stones, doctors will perform a surgical procedure called nephrolithotomy or nephrolithotripsy which involves entering the kidney through a small incision in the back to insert a miniature fiberoptic camera and other small instruments  to either remove the stone or break it up.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stone Treatment

What medicines can help my kidney stones pass?
Your doctor may recommend medicines that will help limit the recurrence of kidney stones. You may al...
How will my doctor treat my kidney stones if I am pregnant?
If you get kidney stones when you are pregnant, your doctor will probably treat your symptoms with a...
What can I expect after ESWL treatment for kidney stones?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
After treatment with extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) for kidney stones, you can expect ...
Can drinking dark beer help pass a kidney stone?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
It is not a good idea to drink vast amounts of dark beer to help pass a kidney stone, although alcoh...