What medication can stop the pain from a kidney stone?

Doctors may prescribe anti-inflammatories (NSAID) to help with the pain. The over-the-counter anti-inflammatory that I use is ibuprofen, usually 600 milligrams. For severe colic we use a stronger, injectable NSAID called ketorolac. It’s a very potent anti-inflammatory and will stop the spasms that you’re having with a kidney stone almost within a few minutes.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stone Treatment

What are treatment options for kidney stones?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Treatments help remove kidney stones, using one or more of these strategies: Breaking up the ston...
What medicines can help my kidney stones pass?
Your doctor may recommend medicines that will help limit the recurrence of kidney stones. You may al...
Will I need to be in a hospital to have large kidney stones removed?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
The procedures used to remove large kidney stones -- percutaneous nephrolithotomy and percutaneous n...
What is ureteroscopy for ureteral stones?
Ureteroscopy is a procedure in which a small scope (like a thin flexible telescope) is inserted into...