When should infected kidney stones be removed?

Infected kidney stones should be removed shortly after detection or diagnosis. The infected stones generally grow rapidly and serve as a nidus (or center) for further stone formation. This stone matrix is believed to protect the bacteria from antibiotics. In essence, antibiotics cannot clear the associated infection unless the stone material is completely removed.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stone Treatment

Are there OTC medications to treat uric acid kidney stones?
Arthur R. Crowley, MDArthur R. Crowley, MD
Sodium Bicarbonate (chewable tablets or powder) is probably the only readily available over-the-coun...
How are stones outside of the kidney treated?
Jayram Krishnan, DOJayram Krishnan, DO
Once a stone leaves the kidney, where it might lodge in the ureter determines treatment, says Jayram...
Is there a cure for kidney stones?
There is no cure for kidney stones, but you can make changes to your lifestyle to help prevent or re...
Why would my doctor recommend surgery to treat my kidney stones?
A doctor will recommend surgery to treat kidney stones when they are associated with continued growt...