What can I expect after ESWL treatment for kidney stones?

After treatment with extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) for kidney stones, you can expect to have blood in your urine and possibly abdominal pain or aching for several days. Other people experience a severe cramping pain as shattered stone fragments make their way out of the body. Oral pain medication and drinking lots of water can help relieve symptoms.

Sometimes a stone is not completely broken up and big pieces remain, so additional treatments may be needed.

Rarely, more serious problems occur, such as bleeding near the kidney that might require a blood transfusion, damage to the area around the stone, or pieces of the stone blocking the flow of urine.

Call your doctor if you feel the strong need to urinate even after you empty your bladder or if you are in extreme pain even when taking your pain medicine.

The recovery time is usually fairly brief. After treatment, you can get up to walk almost immediately. Many people can fully resume their daily activities within one to two days. Special diets are not required, but drinking plenty of water helps the stone fragments pass. For several weeks, you may pass stone fragments in your urine.
ESWL is the most commonly used method of eliminating kidney stones.  You will pass little fine grains of sand from the kidney once ESWL is completed.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stone Treatment

What is PCNL for kidney stones?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
PCNL stands for percutaneous nephrolithotomy, a surgery that removes a stone directly from the kid...
How do I know if my ESWL for kidney stones was successful?
Sangtae Park, MDSangtae Park, MD
Your doctor will order an abdominal xray or CT scan to check that the stone is gone, usually 2-4...
Can alkaline water be used to treat kidney stones?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Drinking alkaline water is a popular internet remedy for kidney stones but the effects on kidney sto...
When should a kidney stone be treated?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Many kidney stones will pass on their own--but you could be absolutely miserable in the meantime, de...