Is ESWL recommended in all cases of kidney stones?

Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) works best for stones smaller than 10 mm, located in the kidney or high in the ureter. Stones low in the ureter (near the pelvis and bladder) don't usually respond well to ESWL treatment. Some stones, such as monohydrate and cystine, are too hard to break with ESWL and require other treatment.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stone Treatment

How are large kidney stones removed?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you have large kidney stones -- stones that are bigger than 2 cm, or about the size of a marble -...
Can vinegar dissolve kidney stones?
Melissa TaylorMelissa Taylor
Vinegar is classified as “folk medicine,” for the prevention or treatment of kidney stones. Folk med...
Can drinking dark beer help pass a kidney stone?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
It is not a good idea to drink vast amounts of dark beer to help pass a kidney stone, although alcoh...
How do I manage my kidney stones on a daily basis?
The recurrence of your kidney stones can be prevented with several daily choices. You should drink p...