What is ESWL treatment for kidney stones?

ESWL, or extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, is the most common treatment for kidney stones in the U.S. Shock waves from outside the body are targeted at a kidney stone, causing the stone to break apart into tiny pieces. The procedure is done in an operating room while you are under anesthesia.

This procedure is sometimes called just shock wave lithotripsy, or SWL.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stone Treatment

What can I expect after my kidney stone is removed?
Jayram Krishnan, DOJayram Krishnan, DO
After a kidney stone is removed, your doctor will perform a series of tests that will help tailor yo...
Will I need to be in a hospital to have large kidney stones removed?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
The procedures used to remove large kidney stones -- percutaneous nephrolithotomy and percutaneous n...
How are large kidney stones removed?
If you have large kidney stones -- stones that are bigger than 2 cm, or about the size of a marble -...
How effective is ESWL for kidney stones?
Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) is effective for certain types of kidney stones. Very l...