How do medications treat kidney stones?

Your doctor may recommend different medications depending on the type of kidney stone you have. You may be given medicine to help the stone pass. Some medicines that you will take regularly can limit the presence of certain minerals in your kidneys, while others help to balance the acidity in your urine. If your kidney stones cause recurrent urinary tract infections, you might take antibiotics to prevent further infections.

Continue Learning about Kidney Stone Treatment

Why would my doctor recommend surgery to treat my kidney stones?
Arthur R. Crowley, MDArthur R. Crowley, MD
A doctor will recommend surgery to treat kidney stones when they are associated with continued growt...
What procedures help treat kidney stones?
Kyle K. Himsl, MDKyle K. Himsl, MD
Learn about the various options for treating kidney stones, from letting a kidney stone pass on its ...
Is ESWL recommended in all cases of kidney stones?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) works best for stones smaller than 10 mm, located in ...
What is ESWL treatment for kidney stones?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
ESWL, or extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, is the most common treatment for kidney stones in th...