Why is diet important if I have kidney failure?

Diet is important when you have kidney failure because your kidneys cannot get rid of waste products. As a result certain foods must be limited or avoided. At the same time, your body needs nutrients to stay healthy. Your dialysis dietitian will continue to teach you how to stay on a kidney diet.

As part of your evaluation to receive a kidney transplant, your nutritional status will be checked for the following:
  • malnutrition (weight loss, low proteins)
  • obesity, especially in the lower part of the belly
  • how well you follow your diet (lab values, fluid gains)
If you are found to have one of the above problems, it will need to be fixed before you can receive a transplant. Your dialysis dietitian will be able to help you.

Continue Learning about Kidney Failure (Acute Kidney Failure)

What is kidney failure?
The final stage of chronic kidney disease is kidney failure, or end-stage renal disease. People with...
How do I manage my prerenal acute renal failure on a daily basis?
Prerenal acute renal failure can be a serious condition, but it generally is a temporary issue. It's...
What is prerenal acute renal failure?
Kynthia JamesKynthia James
Pre-renal failure is caused by a problem  that happens outside the kidneys such as decrease blood fl...
What is postrenal acute renal failure?
Postrenal acute renal failure is a condition when your kidneys suddenly lose the ability to filter o...