What is kidney failure?

The final stage of chronic kidney disease is kidney failure, or end-stage renal disease. People with kidney failure need dialysis, in which blood is cleaned through a machine, or a new, healthy kidney through transplantation.

Kidney failure, also called end-stage renal disease or ESRD, is a chronic condition in which extra fluid and harmful wastes build up in the body because the kidneys no longer work properly. A person with kidney failure needs dialysis or a kidney transplant. The kidneys are the two bean-shaped organs located near the middle of the back. They filter wastes from the blood, form urine, and send it to the bladder.

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Kidney failure or disease includes conditions that damage your kidneys. When this happens it lowers your kidneys ability to remove wastes in your blood. If these wastes accumulate in your body without proper filtration, you will die. There are generally no symptoms in the early stages of kidney failure, but as the disease progresses, you may experience nausea and vomiting, decrease appetite, itching, muscle cramps and exhaustion. You blood work will indicate high level of blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine. Treatment will require dialysis or a kidney transplant.

Kidney or renal failure occurs when the kidneys are unable to do their job of filtering blood and ridding the body of waste products. One cause of renal failure relates to narrowings of the renal arteries, starving the kidneys of oxygen and nutrients.

Continue Learning about Kidney Failure (Acute Kidney Failure)

What should I know to care for someone with intrinsic acute renal failure?
Caring for someone with intrinsic acute renal failure involves helping them follow medical advice. S...
How can my family and I cope with kidney failure?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
You and your family may have difficulty accepting the changes in your lives caused by kidney failure...
Why is diet important if I have kidney failure?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Diet is important when you have kidney failure because your kidneys cannot get rid of waste products...
What is an angiomyolipoma?
An angiomyolipoma is a benign (noncancer) tumor of fat and muscle tissue that usually is found in th...