What is an angiomyolipoma?

An angiomyolipoma is a benign (noncancer) tumor of fat and muscle tissue that usually is found in the kidney. Angiomyolipomas rarely cause symptoms, but may bleed or grow large enough to be painful or cause kidney failure. They are common in patients with tuberous sclerosis (a genetic disorder in which benign tumors grow in the kidneys, brain, eyes, heart, lungs, and skin, causing seizures, mental problems, and skin lesions).

This answer is based on source information from The National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Kidney Failure (Acute Kidney Failure)

Why is diet important if I have kidney failure?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Diet is important when you have kidney failure because your kidneys cannot get rid of waste products...
What should I know to care for someone with intrinsic acute renal failure?
Caring for someone with intrinsic acute renal failure involves helping them follow medical advice. S...
What should I know to care for someone with postrenal acute renal failure?
Caring for someone with postrenal acute renal failure involves helping them follow medical advice. S...
What causes kidneys to stop working?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
There are many things that can cause kidneys to stop working or to not work properly. As we age, kid...